Hancock and Partners Lettings and Estate Agents is pleased to be able to offer a slice of Chichester history in the shape of a lovely penthouse apartment in this Chichester landmark.
Jennie Hancock shares her memories of this much loved building with her insight into the background of one of Chichester’s pre-eminent families:
The first Shippam’s business was a grocery run by Charles Shippam, which opened at Westgate in 1786.
His son, Charles Shippam II, continued the family business and was one of the founding shareholders in the Corn Exchange.
In 1851, Charles Shippam III started a butchers shop at 48 East Street, which was followed some years later in 1892 by the creation of their first factory, built behind the shop, producing canned goods and potted meats.
In 1905 Shippams first used the glass jar with a sealed metal lid for which they became so famous, and started sterilising their products for a longer shelf life.
The factory was visited by Queen Mary in 1924 and a staff social club was built in 1927. During the Second World War, in response to the shortage of male labour, Shippam’s employed its first female staff in 1942.
Shippam’s was one of the first companies to advertise on the new ‘commercial’ television station in 1955, and continued to expand the brand through the latter part of the 20th century, adding new ranges which included Chicken Supreme in 1961 and the Old El Paso Mexican food range in 1984.
The company became part of the Grand Metropolitan group in 1995 and the last member of the Shippam family retired in 1998.
Throughout the 20th century many of us recall the hive of activity Shippam’s created in the city.
Externally little has changed with the facade of Shippam House, and it is still very much the building many of us grew up with as we passed it on the City Walls Walk.
Inside, however, it is all change.
This exceptional penthouse apartment located within the city walls is presented to a high standard with exceptional direct views of the cathedral from the living room and master bedroom. There is a large private west facing balcony, which is a rare find in the city.
The apartment accommodation offers entrance hall, kitchen/breakfast room, living room, two double bedrooms, bathroom, balcony and underground parking and is available to rent from November for £1,100 pcm.
If you are interested in sharing in this piece of Chichester’s history call Hancock and Partners on 01243 531155 or email email@example.com