Barnham pet poisoned in ‘reckless’ act

Scruffy now fully recovered with owner William Wallace
Scruffy now fully recovered with owner William Wallace
0
Have your say

A FAMILY’S dog nearly died after it ate poisoned meat, believed to have been left out to kill a fox.

William Wallace was walking his four-year-old cairn cross border terrier Scruffy in Barnham when he spotted him eating the meat and intervened.

“It was only by the grace of God that I caught him eating it,” said William.

He rushed him to the vet on October 27 to have his stomach pumped.

After two weeks Scruffy appears to be making a recovery.

“It was touch and go at the time – he was critical,” William said.

The day after he rushed back to warn other dog walkers in the woods near Lake Lane there could be poisoned meat around.

“We’ve all got a common denominator which is a dog. The moment there’s something out there that threatens us so obviously, it pulls everyone together.

“The common denominator we all share is we have pets. For someone to threaten your family effectively, it’s upsetting.”

Will’s wife Emma called police and the RSPCA the next day to tell them what happened.

“It’s just irresponsible,” she said. “It’s not just foxes you’re going to get but people’s pets.

“I just want people to be aware that it’s not an okay thing to do.”

Sussex Police released a statement to the Observer, saying they spoke to a resident believed to have put the meat out to deter foxes.

“Police have spoken with the woman and although the behaviour was reckless it was not malicious and strong words of advice were given,” the force said.