WHAT has been described as a ‘mini tornado’ has hit the Midhurst and Petworth area.
Latest reports indicate several trees are blocking roads in Midhurst, Petworth, Fittleworth, Loxwood, Easebourne and Billingshurst.
Strong winds started around 4.45pm this afternoon (January 25).
According to West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service, damage so far includes:
- Four trees down outside the Swan Inn, on the A283 at Fittleworth
- A flying shed in Billingshurst, although firefighters were not required to attend that incident
- A 30ft tree down in Coates Lane, in Fittleworth
- A tree blocking the road near Brunswick Manor, in Loxwood
- A tree down in Balls Cross, north of Petworth
- A tree down on the A286 at the Royal Oak pub, near Midhurst
- There is also a power cut in Sutton
West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service are not at any of these incidents.
The wind has travelled north and is currently believed to be near Crawley.
Anyone affected by the weather can contact the newsdesk to send us pictures and videos.