DCSIMG

UPDATE: West Ashling fire highlights importance of smoke alarms

editorial image

editorial image

A TEENAGER who was home alone called firefighters after a blaze in a West Ashling house this afternoon (January 2).

A West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said the fire is now out and the teenager is safe, but it could have been a very different story if the house was not fitted with a smoke alarm.

“They had a working smoke alarm in each floor of the house and the teenager, who was in another bedroom, was alerted and we were there in very good time,” she said.

The call came in at 1.21pm, after an overloaded plug set alight in a first-floor loft conversion in the home on Heather Close.

The fire service spokeswoman said this highlighted the importance of having working smoke alarms throughout the house.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page