Fire at block of flats in Chichester

An elderly man was taken to hospital after a fire started at a block of flats in Chichester.

Firefighters were called to the flats at Stockbridge Road at 2.34pm yesterday (Sunday, July 22).

A small fire had started in the kitchen of a second floor flat. The fire had been put out before the arrival of West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service.

Damaged areas were dampened down and cut away. An elderly man was taken to hospital with smoke inhalation.

The fire was accidental.