‘Fireball’ warning after Selsey chip pan fire

SUS-140324-123506001

SUS-140324-123506001

0
Have your say

A CHIP pan fire has sparked a warning from firefighters after they were called to an emergency in Selsey.

The warning from West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service was issued after the Selsey crew was called to a bungalow, in Green Lane, around 7.45pm on Friday (November 14) after a chip pan caught fire.

The flames were extinguished by the fire brigade using a fire blanket and getting the chip pan out of the bungalow.

They then used a van to ventilate the home and get rid of the smoke.

There were no reported injuries for anyone cooking in the bungalow.

Firefighters said the fire was an accident and added people needed to take extra care when they were deep-fat frying or cooking with oil.

“If you do have a fire in the kitchen, don’t take any risks – get everyone out of your home and call 999,” said a spokeswoman from the fire brigade on Monday.

“Take extra care when deep-fat frying or cooking with oil. Use a thermostat controlled deep-fat fryer which will make sure the fat doesn’t get too hot.”

She said if a pan caught fire people should not move it as it was likely to be ‘extremely hot’.

She warned people to turn off the heat if it was safe to do so but not to lean over a pan to reach the controls.

People should place a fire blanket over the pan if they owned one and not use a fire extinguisher as the force of it could spread the fire.

“Never use water on chip pan fires as this will cause a fireball,” she said.