Green light for 110 homes in Selsey

editorial image

PLANS for a 110-home development in Selsey have been given the green light by councillors.

Chichester District Council approved the Barratt Homes application for land north west of Park Road at a meeting of the planning committee last Wednesday.

Three parish councils – Selsey, Hunston and Donnington – had objected to the plans, with objections primarily focusing on design and potential traffic issues.

Despite the concerns, the site is a preferred location for development in the emerging Selsey neighbourhood plan.

A statement from Selsey Parish Council chairman Brian Rainer, read by councillor Carole Purnell, stated: “The design of the proposed dwellings are of poor quality and does not reflect the uniqueness and individuality of the area.

“We do not believe the design quality has progressed beyond poor.”

District council planning officers, in recommending the application for approval, noted the concerns of the parish councils, particularly regarding the potential impact of additional traffic on the B2145 Chichester Road.

But councillors were reminded they had previously approved the outline application, which had dealt with the issue of traffic, while West Sussex County Council Highways raised no objection.

Selsey North councillor John Connor said he had been asked by a number of residents to oppose the application, objections which he had ‘some sympathy’ for.

Having also considered calls to support it, however, Mr Connor told the committee the site was also included in the neighbourhood plan and on balance, had to support the application as there were no reasonable grounds to object.

Outline planning permission was granted in November for 100 homes.

A separate outline application for 139 homes and an Asda supermarket in an adjoining field has also been approved.

The 110-home site will comprise of four quadrants of residential development, with recreational open space and 900 metre perimeter dog walking track.

Barratt Homes had responded to concerns about taller buildings at the entrance to the site being out of character by reducing their height, while the number of bungalows around the development had been increased.

In supporting the plans, Tangmere councillor Simon Oakley said: “I welcome the overall layout of the site. The design of housing is very subjective. I am not overly concerned with that as being something we can refuse this on. From what I have seen they are reasonable.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.chichester.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ChichesterObserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @Chiobserver

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Chichester Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.