A COUPLE battling damp in their home have found mould is ruining their prized possessions.
Occupants Neil and Laura Davy are dreading more wet weather, despite assurances from housing association Hyde Martlet that the problem will be dealt with.
“I think it is about time they helped,” said Mr Davy.
“We have to phone them up when it starts to rain.”
Mr Davy, who lives in Farndale Close in Chichester, collects Formula One memorabilia but said a lot of it had been ruined by mould. He said people had been out to assess the problem over the past few years but they ‘all said different things’.
“They keep saying they will get someone to call us back,” said Mr Davy.
“We pay our rent and they do nothing. This has been going on for years, but the damp has never damaged our property before.
“We can see where the areas have been treated. But it is all coming through again.”
Mr Davy said mould had come back in the past three weeks.
“You can see it growing around light fittings. I haven’t pulled out the wardrobe yet – we don’t really want to see how bad it is.”
He said all their clothes felt damp and his shoes were ruined.
“I was told to turn the heating on and open the windows to solve the problem. We had the windows open all over Christmas. We only have three radiators. We don’t seem to have any insulation.”
The family has lived in the property for more than ten years. “I’m not saying it’s the worst I’ve ever seen, but when you spend money trying to make your house look nice and buy bedroom furniture, it’s really annoying.”
Jane Ball, regional director for Hyde, said she ‘appreciates Mr Davy’s frustration’.
“We can assure him that we’re committed to getting to the bottom of this situation,” she said.
“We’ve confirmed an appointment this Friday, February 7, for a specialist from our property services team to investigate the problem and agree a schedule of works to resolve the damp issues at this property as soon as possible.”
A spokesman for the housing association said damp could be caused by issues such as structural problems to poor room ventilation.