DCSIMG

Chichester warden funding needed

editorial image

editorial image

THE FUTURE of ‘extremely valuable’ neighbourhood wardens is still in doubt after West Sussex County Council withdrew funding for the scheme last year.

Chichester District Council has agreed they can only commit to 50 per cent of funding for each existing warden, for a maximum of three years, and only if this sum is matched by external funding in each area.

Council leader Heather Caird, speaking at a cabinet meeting on Tuesday, said: “This is a service which we absolutely do not want to lose – their continued presence in local communities is extremely valuable, and we must really try to keep the funding going.”

A report by Andrew Pilley, community development manager, said: “Where sufficient partner funding and commitments cannot be secured, the local service will be withdrawn.

“Cabinet will agree to continue to fund the senior warden post in full for three years, subject to a review should more than one warden patrol fail to be funded.”

He added: “The potential withdrawal of service provision, where insufficient external funding is forthcoming, will have significant impact on the local community.”

The wardens are based and operate in Chichester East and South, Selsey North and South, Tangmere and Oving, and East and West Wittering.

The cabinet voted in favour of plans to increase corporate sponsorship.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page