THE wet weather is easing off but residents have been left with cleaning up after rising flood water breached homes and businesses.
High tides, combined with heavy rainfall and strong winds caused outbreaks of flooding in the Observer area.
West Sussex County Council dealt with 750 incident calls outside normal working hours between December 23 and January 7.
Of the incident calls, 250 were flooding related, while another 250 were to do with fallen trees. Worst hit areas include Bosham, Emsworth, Iping and Midhurst’s North Mill Bridge.
County council cabinet member for residents’ services, Lionel Barnard, said: “Our staff have been tremendously busy – at all hours – dealing with the fallout caused by the floods.
“Unfortunately when you get this volume of water it has to go somewhere.
“I can assure residents we are doing everything we can to make sure problems they have encountered are being dealt with.”
Last year the county council launched its Operation Watershed programme.
Among its aims was a commitment to carry out more than 100 drainage improvement projects in areas worst affected by floods.
Three extra groups are dealing with the potholes which have started appearing on the roads. Since January 1, 722 potholes have been reported to the county council.
Uprooted trees or branches have also caused some problems.
County council cabinet member for highways and transport, Pieter Montyn, said: “At times like this we really do need the help of the public.
“If you come across a tree that has fallen in your private ditch, we ask for your help in clearing it.
“It can prevent all manner of problems for neighbours.”