MOULD in Hyde Martlet homes caused a debate last week after a family in St James Square hit out at the housing association.
Since then more than 30 people have commented on the Observer Facebook page, outlining problems they have had with mould in Hyde houses.
Bill Phillips, 64, of Westlands Road, Hunston, also got in touch with the Observer, and said the mould in his home had become so bad he had got pneumonia.
He said: “I have had innumerous visits from surveyors, and nothing is done. I have had pneumonia and spent ten days in hospital. They think it was caused by the black mould.
“We never had this when it was run by Chichester District Council.
“It’s taken months of my life trying to get this sorted. It has been a real struggle.
“I have been in this house for 64 years and I have never had a problem like it.”
Jane Ball, regional director for the Hyde Group, said: “The nature of this repair, involving structural damage, can be involved and therefore unfortunately take some time to complete.
“It is, of course, important to keep the resident updated on progress throughout any repair and I must apologise to Mr Phillips that on this occasion we haven’t done this – we will do so going forward.
“Work on repairs to the collapsed lintel is going well and we aim to get the repair completed and to return Mr Phillips’ home to good condition as soon as we possibly can.”
“Damp in a property is a condition that can be caused by a combination of different elements from structural problems, as is in this case with Mr Phillips’s home, to everyday living situations; for example, condensation and poor room ventilation.
“This makes suspected damp complicated to determine and also often challenging to immediately put right.
“I would advise a resident who suspects damp in their home to speak to their housing officer in the first instance so that the situation can be investigated and speedily addressed.”