DCSIMG

Planning inquiry date set for Southbourne care home

editorial image

editorial image

THE fate of a controversial care home development will be back in the hands of the planners.

Chichester District Council turned down the application for a 60-bedroom care home, on land west of Garsons Road, Southbourne, in March last year.

Hallam Land Management is appealing the decision – hoping the planning inspectorate will give the go-ahead to plans which include a cafe, hairdressers, treatment room, shop and cinema.

The council turned down the application, saying it would result in an ‘institutional-style building’ outside the settlement policy area.

Chichester District Council also raised concerns over the piecemeal erosion of the strategic gap between Chichester and Emsworth, and criticised and said the infrastructure of the area could not support 
the plans.

Residents had also raised a series of concerns, particularly regarding access to the site, which was planned via Alfrey Close.

Objecting at the time of the original application, George Sidgreaves, of Alfrey Close, said the access issues would create ‘a very dangerous situation’.

“I have no objection whatsoever to the building of housing accommodation in this area. My major concern and that of my neighbours is that Alfrey Close will be the only road in and out of the development.”

Southbourne Parish Council also objected to the plans, saying there was already a ‘sufficient’ number of nursing homes in the parish and the proposed care home was ‘unnecessary and unsuitable for the site’.

An inquiry into the appeal will be held on February 5 from 10am at Chichester City Council, North Street and will last for three days.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page