DCSIMG

Scheme for 100 Selsey homes to be decided

DOZENS of residents turned up to an appeal hearing for 100 homes in Selsey last week.

Planning inspector Martin Pike will make the final decision in the next six weeks, but Chichester District Council and Pye Homes made representations at the hearing on Thursday (January 23).

Chichester District Council officers refused the application, on the grounds the housing mix and tenure of the homes were unsuitable, and the distribution of social housing was inappropriate.

Because the affordable homes are set in one corner of the site, residents said it could cause ‘ghettoisation’ in the area.

Several residents and members from the Campaign Against Over Development in Selsey (CAODIS), spoke at the meeting, and cited traffic, flooding 
and lack of infrastructure as reasons to turn down the appeal.

However, Graham Flint, managing director of Pye Homes, said: “We don’t think the reasons for refusal outweigh the pressing need for new homes in the district.

“We’ve worked with the community to create a scheme which is low-density, includes bungalows to reflect surrounding homes and includes affordable housing to get younger people to stay and settle in Selsey.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page