DCSIMG

Selsey lifeboats called out to missing divers

The lifeboat with the dive boat Final Answer. Picture by Max Gilligan SUS-140519-093129001

The lifeboat with the dive boat Final Answer. Picture by Max Gilligan SUS-140519-093129001

TWO Selsey lifeboats were called out to missing divers on Saturday afternoon (May 17).

The inshore and offshore boats were called out at 2pm, after a call from crew on a dive boat, who said two of the divers had failed to surface.

The 12 RNLI volunteers made their way to Outer Mulberry, three miles north east of Selsey, where the dive boat was situated.

The crew started to search immediately after launching, and after four minutes two divers were spotted straight ahead of the lifeboat.

When the lifeboats arrived alongside the divers they said they were both well and were happy to wait in the water to be recovered by the dive boat.

Helmsman Gary Pearce said the divers told him they surfaced on time but not close to the boat.

They waved but were not seen by the others on the dive boat. Gary said they were equipped with surface marker buoys and were tethered together so this made finding them easier. The divers had drifted 1.75 miles from the dive site.

After the two divers had been recovered to the dive boat Solent Coastguard released both the lifeboats to return to station.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page