EMSWORTH residents are calling for a reduction in speed limits following two crashes on the same road in less than a week.
The town came to a standstill last week after two crashes in North Street in 48 hours.
Hampshire police have charged a 46-year-old driver involved in a four-car collision on Thursday.
Paul Richard Smith, 46, from Lutman Street, Emsworth, has been charged with driving a vehicle while over the legal alcohol limit, driving while disqualified, driving without insurance and two counts of criminal damage.
He is due to appear at Portsmouth Magistrates’ Court on June 10.
A police spokesman said: “The 46-year-old driver has been charged.
“The collision involved four vehicles – a Vauxhall Insignia and a Fiat Punto collided, and then hit two parked Volkswagen Golf cars.”
The crash happened on North Street at 7.40pm.
The smash followed a crash on the same road just two days earlier.
On Tuesday, at 3.15pm, a 16-year-old boy was hit by a car as he crossed North Street.
Witness Connie Richardson, 16, was on her way home from school.
“Emsworth was completely gridlocked,” she said.
“There was a body of a boy lying in the road – everyone thought he was dead.”
A police spokesman said: “A male pedestrian was hit by a 76-year-old female driver of a Suzuki.
“He received a head injury and was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital in Cosham to have stitches.”
Councillor for Emsworth, Brendan Gibb-Gray, has called for a 20mph limit through some parts of the town.
“North Street is particularly busy, with a pedestrian crossing, a railway bridge and a big increase in traffic since developments at Redlands Grange and Oaktree Drive.
“The Highways authority should consider reducing the speed.
“It is both the increase of traffic in the area, and the speed, which is the problem. Shops and homeowners in North Street are suffering.”