Cowdray Ruins opened to the public on Saturday, at last taking its place among the major historical attractions for tourists visiting West Sussex.
The 3.6m Cowdray Heritage Trust project to conserve the remains of the noble 16th century Tudor manor house, all but destroyed by fire in 1793 and two centuries of decay, has finally achieved its ambition after 11 years of planning and two years of specialist conservation work.
The conservation has been backed by organisations including the Cowdray Estate, English Heritage, the Heritage Lottery Fund, West Sussex County and Chichester District councils, Midhurst Town Council and Easebourne Parish Council.
More than 3,000 people took advantage of the free opening day, 1,000 of them joining a procession through the town.
Report in April 5 issue of the Observer