MP Nick Herbert has demanded a review of the disruption caused by this weekend’s Mutiny Festival in Fontwell, describing the impact on local residents as ‘totally unacceptable’.
He said people had contacted him to voice their anger over ‘exceptionally loud dance music’ and explicit language from some revellers.
The Arundel and South Downs MP is seeking a formal review and apology from Arun District Council and Fontwell Racecourse on behalf of those living in Fontwell village.
In a statement, Mr Herbert said both the council and the racecourse had shown ‘naivety in believing that a three day event of this type could be held in a quiet residential area without causing significant disruption’.
He said that ‘local residents’ legitimate fears had been dismissed but had proved to be entirely justified’.
Mr Herbert wrote to the chief executives of both Arun District Council and Fontwell Racecourse before the festival to convey his concerns about the potential impact on nearby residents and businesses from noise, litter and disruption during the event.
He questioned whether a residential area was an appropriate venue for three days of music, which ran until 2am, and expressed his surprise that the event had been granted a licence.
Arun District Council have said that noise levels did not exceed the permitted levels and that and that any issues would be ‘addressed as part of the event de-brief.
Mr Herbert said: “I am now demanding a formal review by Fontwell Park and Arun District Council into how this event was ever agreed and licensed, and why the residents of Fontwell were not better informed and their properties protected.
“It is simply not good enough to say that young people had a great time at the festival.
“The disruption and noise levels in a quiet residential area were bad enough, but the littering and fouling of public and private property was revolting and totally unacceptable.
“Local people are entitled to an apology from both Fontwell Park and the council, and an assurance that this kind of unsuitable and poorly managed event will not be allowed at this location again.”
Around 13,000 people attended the festival and American rapper Snoop Dogg performed on the Saturday.
Police confirmed that 11 arrests were made over the three days.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.