Rat poison sandwich strikes again

A THIRD dog has been poisoned in Bosham leading police to issue a warning to dog walkers.

Judy Peeters’ dog Rusty ate a sandwich filled with rat poison on a footpath behind her home in The Holdens at the end of January, and a week later, David Weston’s dog Rufus fell ill after eating some slug pellets on waste ground near to the footpath.

Now a third dog has fallen ill after eating a second sandwich filled with rat poison in The Holdens over the weekend.

There is also an unconfirmed report of a fourth rat poison sandwich being spotted on Centurio Way near Lavant.

PCSO Booker, Wildlife Crime Officer said: “This is a terrible ordeal for the animals and owners involved and we ask that if anybody has any information that can help us in our investigations to contact us on 101 quoting reference number 331 20/02/12.

“We have been in contact with the Wildlife Incident Investigation Scheme and have made them aware of the incidents that we have had in Chichester.

“They are there to protect pets and wildlife from pesticide poisoning and are able to carry out extensive investigations in the hope of prosecuting someone for their malicious or careless behaviour.”

For more information about the WIIS you can contact them on 0800321600 or find out more information at www.caip-uk.info