Firefighters have reminded residents to check their smoke detectors after a fire started din the roof of an East Wittering home.
A small fire started at around 7.30pm on February 2 in the roof of the building at Admiralty Row after worn electrical wiring had caught fire.
The couple who lived in the house had previously received a home fire safety check from West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service and had fire alarms on each floor including the loft.
A thermal imaging camera and ladder were used by the fire crew to tackle the fire.
Crew commander Derek Covill from East Wittering fire station said: “Smoke alarms give a vital early warning to the first signs of danger and give people the time they need to get out to safety.
“I would urge anyone who either doesn’t have smoke detectors or has any concerns regarding fire safety in the home to call our freephone number 0800 328 6487, and request a home fire safety check from the Fire Service.”
The fire was accidental. To request a Home Fire Safety Check call Freephone 0800 328 6487