Still time to have your say on bus cuts in the Chichester area

0
Have your say

There is still time to take part in a survey about plans for cuts to bus services in Chichester and the surrounding areas.

The bus user survey is being conducted by West Sussex County Council to help it decide which bus subsidies have to be reduced. The deadline for comments is tomorrow (Tuesday, January 17).

The county council announced earlier this year that it would be reducing in phases the subsidy it gives to bus companies for non-commercial routes.

This is part of a drive by the council to reduce spending by £79 million over three years following significant grant reductions from central government. Most routes are run on a commercial basis. However, some routes receive a subsidy from the council.

The services affected are:

Arriva: 63

Compass: 8, 8A, 16, 19, 69, 84, 85, 99, 100, 106, 108, 109, 601, 619

Countryliner: 30, 31, 33, 33B, 36, 37, 38, 40 Emsworth & District: 11

Metrobus: 23, 61, 82, 84, 89, 200, 270, 271, 273, 281, 291, 684

Stagecoach: 47, 47A, 56, 66, 66A, 67, 70

The survey asks when people use the routes and where they travel to. It also asks what impact there would be if the routes were no longer available.

West Sussex County Council cabinet member for highways and transport, Pieter Montyn, said: “We have had a good response to the survey already but we want to make sure as many people as possible take part so we have a complete picture of the way these bus routes are used.

“As we’ve said before the removal of a subsidy does not necessarily mean the end of a service. We are continuing to work with bus companies to look for alternative ways to keep services running where possible and this information will be very valuable.”

To take part in the survey online, go to www.westsussex.gov.uk/buses. Anyone requiring help in completing the survey can call 01243 642105 or email buses@westsussex.gov.uk