BOTH Tangmere’s community stores have been hailed by residents forced to evacuate their homes after a gas leak.
The village’s Co-op store and One Stop both told villagers evacuated from their homes around 4.15pm (October 7) to help themselves to food and drinks from the shelves when they had to take shelter in the village centre.
“I won’t say it was an excellent night, it was different but the community here in Tangmere really came together last night,” said Jem Ballantyne, who was evacuated from his home in Woodfield Close
“All the services were superb and I can’t praise the two shops enough.”
He said he would be going around later today (October 8) to thank them both for their generosity.
“They really were superb. We felt like we were shoplifting. They said ‘take whatever you need’.
Mr Ballantyne also praised community wardens Dawn White and Gareth Jones, saying they were ‘absolutely superb and kept us informed all the time’.
Duty sergeant David Lyons, of the Chichester neighbourhood policing team, also came in for praise from residents for keeping them informed and for helping them during the evening.
When residents returned home at 5am, Mr Ballantyne said: “Two policemen and all the gas people were still here working. We made them cups of tea and bacon sandwiches. It was a real community spirit. Everybody pulled together.”
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.chichester.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ChichesterObserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Chiobserver
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Chichester Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.