Three rescue calls to Selsey lifeboat

The rescue of five girls in Selsey. PICTURE SUPPLIED BY RNLI SUS-140723-085045001
The rescue of five girls in Selsey. PICTURE SUPPLIED BY RNLI SUS-140723-085045001

IT’S been a busy few days for the Selsey lifeboat crew with three incidents since Sunday (July 20).

The first was a call to reports of two women clinging to the end of a breakwater near the Selsey coastguard tower.

The Selsey RNLI and the Selsey Coastguard team were requested to attend at 1.10pm on Sunday.

The reserve D class lifeboat D675 crewed by Helmsman John Reeves, Sam Troughton-smith and Craig Sergeant arrived on scene at 1.13pm to find two members of the public had helped the two women ashore.

The inshore landed a crewman on the beach to check if the women needed any first aid treatment. The Selsey Coastguard team was with the women and they treated some wounds one of them sustained from the barnacles.

The Inshore lifeboat was released by Solent Coastguard to return to station and was rehoused 1.24pm.

Then it was called out for the second time that day,

Solent Coastguard had received an emergency call from the dive boat Mek.

There were reports of two missing divers. The Mek was 1 mile south of the Mixon pole.

The D class inshore lifeboat launched at 6.28pm quickly followed by the Tyne class lifeboat Voluntary Worker at 6.30pm.

Bembridge RNLI lifeboat and the HM Coastguard Helicopter Rescue 104 also joined the search.

At 6.35pm Solent Coastguard requested all units to stand down as the two divers had been spotted and picked up by another dive boat safe and well. Both Selsey lifeboats returned to station and were rehoused and washed down.

The following day, on Monday (July 21), Solent Coastguard had received an emergency call from a woman saying her friends were stuck on Norton spit in the entrance to Pagham harbour.

The D class inshore lifeboat Betty and Thomas Moore launched at 6.34pm and arrived on scene at 6.44pm.

The girls were quickly located and they and their rubber dingy were taken aboard the lifeboat. The girls were taken back to the beach on the Pagham side and left in the care of Littlehampton Coastguard team for a safety talk.

The girls said they left with another group of girls in another dingy to cross to Norton and when it came to return the other dingy set off first and made it across but with the flooding tide the girls left on the beach decided against attempting the crossing.

For a report and prevew of the Selsey RNLI’s upcoming fundraising week, see tomorrow’s Observer (July 24).