LAKESIDE Bowling complex in Chichester was evacuated last night (November 29), after cleaners accidentally mixed two chemicals which created chlorine.
Firefighters, ambulance crews and police were on the scene of the ‘chemical incident’ at Lakeside Superbowl in Terminus Road, Chichester.
The building was evacuated and two members of staff were treated by paramedics for gas inhalation.
Firefighters from Bognor and Chichester were called to the scene at 9.37pm on Saturday evening (November 29).
A spokesman for West Sussex Fire and Rescue service said: “We received reports that two different chemicals were mixed together in a toilet.
“Four pumps and a command team were at the scene and the building was evacuated.
“The teams diluted the chemicals and also sought specialist advice on how to deal with the situation.
“Crews left the scene by 11.30pm.”
Station commander Marvin Smith, who was in charge, said firefighters from Chichester and Bognor, supported by a specialist breathing apparatus unit were attending the incident and they had cordoned off the bowling complex, supported by police.
The cinema was also cordoned off to allow a fire engine to get closer to the scene.
Tom Cotterill, 25, of Appletree Walk, in Climping, said: “I had just come out of McDonald’s when I saw the fire engines pull up into Chichester gate.
“I was very surprised to see more than half a dozen firefighters, armed with breathing mask, get out the fire engines and seal off the bowling complex.
“I was just out to have a good night, celebrating my friend’s birthday.
“I never expected to see this. It was quite a shock.”
The bowling complex has reopened today (November 30).