UPDATE: Chichester Travelodge fire was accidental

Fire at Travelodge in Chichester city centre'PICTURE BY EDDIE MITCHELL
Fire at Travelodge in Chichester city centre'PICTURE BY EDDIE MITCHELL
0
Have your say

A FIRE which broke out at the Belle Isle restaurant in Chichester on Sunday night and spread to the neighbouring Travelodge was started accidentally.

A spokesman for West Sussex Fire & Rescue said: “We can confirm the fire was started accidentally and it is believed to have been caused by overheating oily rags in a tumble drier.”

The fire broke out at the Belle Isle in Chapel Street in the early hours of this morning.

Guests were evacuated from the Travelodge and no one was seriously injured.

However a firefighter is believed to have suffered minor injuries when he was struck by a falling roof tile during a three-hour operation to extinguish the blaze.

{UPDATE: Firefighter taken to hospital after Chichester Travelodge fire|http://www.chichester.co.uk/news/local/update-firefighter-taken-to-hospital-after-chichester-travelodge-fire-1-6685976}