UPDATE: Firefighter taken to hospital after Chichester Travelodge fire

Fire at Travelodge in Chichester city centre'PICTURE BY EDDIE MITCHELL
Fire at Travelodge in Chichester city centre'PICTURE BY EDDIE MITCHELL
  • Chichester Travelodge guests evacuated after flames climb wall of building
  • Fire believed to have started in storage room of Belle Isle restaurant under the hotel
  • No guests hurt but one firefighter taken to hospital
0
Have your say

A THREE-HOUR operation last night saw a fire extinguished from a Chichester hotel, with one firefighter taken to hospital.

As reported, a fire broke out at the Belle Isle restaurant, in Chapel Street, in the early hours of this morning (April 13), spreading up the outside wall to the Travelodge.

Fire at Travelodge in Chichester city centre'PICTURE BY EDDIE MITCHELL

Fire at Travelodge in Chichester city centre'PICTURE BY EDDIE MITCHELL

Guests were evacuated and no one was seriously hurt.

The firefighter is believed to have minor injuries after he was hit by a falling roof tile. He was taken to hospital and x-rayed.

Group manager Gary Locker, who was at the scene, said afterwards: “The attending firefighters did an excellent job. This was a protracted incident and crews had to fight the fire from a number of sectors to successfully surround and extinguish it, including a service ventilation shaft with difficult access.

“I would also like to thank the team at the Dolphin & Anchor in Chichester who helped to look after the evacuated hotel guests until they could be taken on to their replacement hotel.”

The guests were taken to the Travelodge at Fontwell.

The first fire crew arrived within four minutes of the 999 call and found the blaze had spread externally up the three-storey building.

Additional crews were immediately requested and despatched to the scene.

At its height ten fire engines and the aerial ladder platform from Worthing were all involved in the firefighting operation.

Assistance was also given by Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service with engines sent from Emsworth and Havant.

Teams of breathing apparatus wearers tackled the fire from both inside and outside of the building to prevent any further fire spread.

The blaze was extinguished at around 4am but one crew still remains at the scene carrying out a watching brief.

Fire investigation officers are currently at the scene working alongside the police to establish the cause of the fire. Early indications are it may have started in a rear storage and utility area of the restaurant.

Chapel Street, which was closed during the firefighting operation, has now reopened.

Were you one of the guests who had to be evacuated? Email chris.shimwell@chiobserver.co.uk or call 01243 534154