Warning after rocket flies into Chichester flat

editorial image
0
Have your say

Firefighters have issued a warning after a stray rocket flew into the loft space of a Chichester flat.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service was called to a block of flats on Southdown Close, Chichester, at 4.09pm on Tuesday afternoon (October 27) after smoke was seen issuing from the roof of the property.

The rocket, which is believed to have come from a group of children letting off fireworks at the rear of the property, burnt itself out before the fire could spread.

Watch commander Carl Halewood, from Chichester Fire Station, was in charge at the scene.

He said: “It is very fortunate nobody was hurt in this incident, because this could have had a much more serious outcome.

“People shouldn’t forget that fireworks are explosives and can be extremely dangerous.

“In the run up to Bonfire Night I would urge parents to warn their children about the danger of fireworks both to themselves and to others. Only adults should be lighting fireworks.

“We want people to enjoy fireworks in safety so we always recommend that people go to an organised community display, rather than be tempted to have firework parties at home.”

Advice for anyone who intends to hold their own firework displays this bonfire season, can be found here

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.chichester.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ChichesterObserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @Chiobserver

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Chichester Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.