Delving into Singleton history and its links to the royal family

The name Singleton is derived from the Anglo-Saxon ‘sengel’, which means burnt clearing.

Friday, 4th December 2020, 2:08 pm

The village was listed in the 1086 Domesday Book as an ancient hundred, a type of administrative division, and at that time had 237 households including the settlements of East and Mid Lavant, Binderton and Preston.

The Grade I listed village church of The Blessed Virgin Mary was founded in Saxon times. It was the central church of the Hundred of Singleton. The nave walls and square tower date to this time. The tower contains three Saxon windows and a Saxon doorway which leads to nowhere, high up in the nave. The Saxon tower arch was later rebuilt with a pointed arch in the 12th or 13th century.

The village pub has roots in the 16th century, known then as The Greyhound, it was later renamed The Horse and Groom and was rebuilt in the 18th Century. Since that time it has had two further name changes, The Fox and Hounds and most recently The Partridge Inn.

Singleton Railway Station in July 2020. Picture: Stephen Tattersall
Singleton Railway Station in July 2020. Picture: Stephen Tattersall

As well as the church, the village was also home to Singleton Railway Station, a stop on the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway (LSBCR) from Chichester to Midhurst which opened on July 11, 1881. On the Chichester to Midhurst line, there were stations at Lavant and Cocking. The LBSCR employed the railway architect Thomas Harrison Myres to work on lines that opened between 1880 and 1883.

The station had four platforms, so it was large enough to accommodate visitors to Goodwood racecourse, although most passengers preferred using Chichester station. Edward VII as Prince of Wales was a frequent visitor, travelling there by Royal Train, either for racing at Goodwood or to stay at West Dean Park with the James family.

All Goodwood traffic came through Singleton, with extra staff on duty for the races. There were between five and seven staff employed at the station and the station master had his own house. When a regular bus service started in the 1920s, the number of staff reduced until the point that one staff member was doing the jobs of booking clerk, porter and station master.

Before the line was closed to passengers in July 1935, each morning there were two school trains, one with girls going to Chichester High School, the other with boys attending Midhurst Grammar School. There were occasional day excursions from Singleton departing 8am to Victoria returning at midnight for 2/6 return.

The Fox and Hounds at Singleton in the late 1980s

Between 1935 and 1953 the line was used for freight traffic, mostly transporting sugar beet from local farms. On November 19, 1951, a locomotive and goods train from Bognor to Midhurst crashed into a 30ft deep gully. The locomotive was extracted a year later and was repaired but by then, the track to Midhurst was considered too uneconomic. Singleton Station finally closed in 1953.

By the early 1970s, the platforms at the station were becoming derelict. In 1972 the brothers Ian and Andrew Paget took out a lease on the station from West Dean Estate to establish a vineyard and winery. The platforms were accessed through the passenger tunnel, which was then in the occupation of the Potter brothers, who ran a vehicle repair business.

Over 13 acres, there were nine plots on the south-facing slope above the station which were planted with vines between 1972 and 1973. The site was chosen for its aspect and soil type, clay silt loam overlying the chalk, which is very free draining while retaining sufficient moisture for the vines. The varieties planted were Mueller-Thurgan from Germany, Reichensteiner and Chardonney. By 1979 some of the Chardonney needed replacing and those plots were replanted with Seyval Blanc, a hybrid variety.

The winery was housed in the booking hall that had been built with stained glass windows and fine Canadian pinewood. The lavatories became the wine store, holding up to 40,000 bottles. The wine was bottled on site; the white wine was described as ‘crisp, clean, fruity and dry’. The Chilsdown Vineyard continued to 2011. The property has since reverted to being a private residence that in March 2019 was listed as Grade II.

The former platform and railway line at Singleton in July 2020. Picture: Stephen Tattersall

A message from the Editor, Gary Shipton:

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news, I am asking you to please purchase a copy of our newspapers.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspapers.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world. But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.

Stay safe, and best wishes.