Asbestos exposure caused death of Emsworth heating engineer

Edes House
Edes House

A HEATING engineer who died in February passed away as a result of coming into contact with asbestos 30 years ago, a coroner ruled.

Peter Edwards, 57, of Commonside, Westbourne, died on February 19 in St Wilfrid’s Hospice.

His inquest was held at Edes House, in Chichester, on Tuesday (April 7).

Mr Edwards was told he had mesothelioma in 2014, described at the inquest as ‘absolutely devastating’ for him and his family’.

He was apprenticed at 15 in Emsworth and worked at installing, maintaining and repairing boilers in the area, including at the barracks on Thorney Island.

The inquest heard Mr Edwards was not told of the dangers of working with asbestos at the time and no protective clothing was issued to him.

He lived a healthy life, did not smoke and had never been to hospital prior to the effects of the mesothelioma.

Senior coroner for West Sussex Penelope Schofield recorded a conclusion of industrial disease as cause of death – a result of his exposure to asbestos in the 1970s and 1980s.