THE LEADER of Chichester District Council has praised everyone who helped the residents forced to abandon their homes after a gas leak in Tangmere yesterday (October 7).
Tony Dignum said he wanted to thank everyone who helped respond to the incident.
“Last night’s gas leak in Tangmere was a fantastic example of how a community comes together to support one another under difficult circumstances,” he said.
“Sussex Police did a fantastic job of co-ordinating the response and our dedicated officers were on hand all night helping families who had been evacuated from their homes.
“The incident affected so many, that we opened our rest centre at Westgate Leisure Centre in Chichester. The Co-op and One Stop stores in Tangmere provided food, while the Chichester Park Hotel, the Premier Inn and St Richard’s Hospital, all helped to provide bedding and pillows.
“I want to say a massive thank you to everyone involved – the response to this really was a team effort. We’re incredibly thankful that no one was injured and hope that all of those affected get plenty of rest this weekend now that they are back in their own homes.”
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.chichester.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ChichesterObserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Chiobserver
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Chichester Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.