THREE tumble dryer fires in ten days have sparked a warning from firefighters.
West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is urging people to take extra care.
One of the fires was just after midday last Saturday (January 10) in Henty Gardens, Chichester. There had also been similar incidents in Crawley and Sompting.
Community fire safety officer Jackie Boyle said: “While the weather is cold and wet, it’s natural that more people are using their tumble dryers to dry their laundry at the moment.
“However, people need to remember that these appliances contain powerful motors with fast moving parts that can get very hot. If they are not cleaned or properly maintained, fluff and lint can build up over time and catch fire.
“We’d advise people not to run electrical appliances like tumble dryers or washing machines while they are out or overnight while they are in bed.
“It is also really important to have a working smoke alarm on each level of your home. A working smoke alarm will give you that vital early warning to a developing fire.”
All three fires in recent days were extinguished quickly no one was hurt.