A MAN died on Saturday afternoon after he was electrocuted while working on a farm at East Ashling.
The 34-year-old, who has been named locally as Alfie Matthews, was airlifted to Queen Alexandra hospital, in Portsmouth, but passed away.
He was preparing to load hay bales at Pond Farm, in Lye Lane, when the jib of a crane mounted on a flat-bed truck touched high-voltage electric cables between 25-30ft above the ground, said police.
“This resulted in him being thrown from the cab of the vehicle and caused a power cut affecting some 400 homes in the locality,” said a spokesman.
The coroner has been informed.
Did you know Mr Matthews? Please email tributes to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01243 534154.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.chichester.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ChichesterObserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Chiobserver
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Chichester Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.