Flooding fears for new Nutbourne homes
Concerns over increased flooding and drainage problems were raised after new housing plans were revealed in Nutbourne last week.
Approximately 35 residents attended the Pallant Homes consultation on Thursday, July 7, where they were able to view proposals for 55 houses to be built on Nutbourne West land.
The scheme comprises of a range of houses – from one bed to four bed units – however the majority of the builds will be two and three bed homes aimed a first time buyers.
However, the proposed plans brought up some serious concerns for some members of the public.
A Nutbourne resident said: “At the moment we look out onto fields where we can see nature and wildlife – It would be a shame to see it built on.
“There is already a high water level in this area, I’m not sure how the sewers will cope with the extra houses.”
They added: “There is also the problem of the extra traffic it will cause, and the impact on the infrastructure.
“I appreciate there is a need for more housing, but more needs to be looked into before this goes ahead.”
Pallant Homes has said they intend to offer the Help to Buy government scheme which helps to get families on the property ladder.
The proposed development would offer 30 per cent of the units as affordable housing provided through a Housing Association.
Edward Van Der Wee, director of Pallant Homes, said: “Many of the attendees were already aware that the site has been allocated for development within the Parish’s neighbourhood plan.
“Questions about flooding concerns were raised by some of the attendees and our drainage consultant explained to them that the development will be designed to incorporate a sustainable drainage scheme.
“This will ensure that the run off from the development is less than the current green field run off which will therefore be a positive contribution to relieving pressure on the Brook watercourse.
He continued: “We also received advice from local residents that silt runs onto the main road from the existing field entrance during heavy rain.
“Based on receiving this valuable information we can now ensure that our design of the access road and surrounding landscape hopefully rectifies this problem.”
Mr Van Der Wee added: “The design of the scheme was generally well received and local adjoining residents were pleased that we are providing them with some off street parking on the proposed development as they currently have to park on the main road.”
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.chichester.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ChichesterObserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Chiobserver
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Chichester Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.