Schools across the area have been affected by a one-day strike today.
Members of the National Union of Teachers (NUT) are walking out after voting by more than nome to one in favour of industrial action over pay and conditions.
The union said its demands were to increase funding to schools and education, guarantee terms and conditions in all types of schools, and to resume negotiations on teacher contracts to allow workload to be addressed.
Kevin Courtney, acting general secretary of the NUT, said: “The NUT is not taking action lightly. In light of the huge funding cuts to schools, worsening terms and conditions, and unmanageable and exhausting workloads, teachers cannot be expected to go on without significant change.
“The effects on children’s education are also real and damaging. As a result of school funding cuts, class sizes in primary and secondary schools are increasing, subject choices are being cut, and children are getting less individual attention as teachers and support staff are made redundant or not replaced when they leave.
“There is worse to come, with the Institute of Fiscal Studies predicting that the biggest real-terms cuts to per-pupil funding in a generation are on the way.”
A statement from West Sussex County Council, issued on Thursday, said: “Decisions about whether to close a school for the day are taken by individual headteachers and governing bodies. If a school remains open the headteacher and governing body need to check they have appropriate staffing arrangements in place to ensure the safety of pupils.
“The County Council has stressed that the industrial action is the result of a national dispute between the Government and the teaching union and it has no control of the situation locally.”
According to West Sussex County Council’s website, schools currently affected in the Chichester, Midhurst and Bognor areas are as follows:-
• The Regis School, Bognor Regis. Partially closed Closed to all year groups with the exception of Year 12 on Tuesday 5 July due to strike action
• Southway Primary Academy, Bognor Regis. Partially closed. Peppermint class (morning and afternoon children), Mango class and Salmon class will be closed due to strike action on Tuesday 5 July
• Felpham Community College. Partially closed. Closed to years 7-11 due to strike action. Open for year 12 only for private study.
A full list of closures is available www.chichester.co.uk/news/local/updated-schools-announce-closures-due-to-strike-action-1-7458264.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.