Man '˜led to safety' following kitchen fire in Chichester

Firefighters led a man to safety after his kitchen set alight in the early hours of this morning, West Sussex Fire and Rescue has confirmed.

Saturday, 18th June 2016, 12:48 pm
Updated Thursday, 7th June 2018, 6:04 pm

Two crews from Bognor and one from Selsey attended the scene in Charles Avenue following a call at 1.59am.

The resident had smelt an electrical burning smell, and other people within the three storey block of flats also made calls to the fire service.

The man was led out of the flat by the fire fighters and the kitchen blaze was extinguished.

Ten per cent of the kitchen was damaged by the flames and 40 per cent from smoke damage.

Three people were treated for smoke inhalation and an ambulance was also in attendance.

Services have confirmed the fire to be of an accidental origin.

Fire crews left the scene at 3.23am.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at

2) Like our Facebook page at

3) Follow us on Twitter @Chiobserver

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Chichester Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.