Dog owners have been warned about throwing sticks for their pets, a leading vet has warned.
A smooth collie called Maya sparked the call for caution when she got a 10cm stick stuck in her throat, puncturing her tongue and displacing her voicebox.
The stick was so deeply lodged that owner Catherine Pryde, of Gartcosh in Lanarkshire, wasn’t aware how serious the problem was until a vet removed the piece of wood.
Sarah Stevenson, of Bishopbriggs Veterinary Centre in Glasgow, told The Times: “Stick injuries may not be initially obvious and may cause long term problems.”
Speaking to The Times, president of the British Veterinary Association in Scotland, Grace Webster, said: “Throwing sticks for your dog can be dangerous and lead to horrific injuries that can be very distressing for both you and your dog, such as causing cuts to their mouths and tongues or, as in this case, getting the stick lodged in their throat.
“Even when the initial wound is treated, splinters of wood have often got stuck and require subsequent operations.”
The British Veterinary Association’s former president Robin Hargreaves has previously campaigned for owners to be advised against throwing sticks for their dogs.
However, TV presenter Ben Fogle described the advice as “health and safety gone mad”, adding: “Use your common sense. Accidents can happen. I wouldn’t throw a whole branch, but a stick is a time honoured, natural way of playing outside with your dog.”
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.