Christmas fair season has started in earnest and this is our list of fetes, fairs, concerts and other events being held locally.
If you have a non-profit making festive event you want added, let us know - contact details at the bottom of this article.
Fetes and fairs
Saturday, December 7
* Christmas Fair, 2-4pm, Church Hall, Church Farm Lane, Sidlesham (park and ride from the football ground)
Sunday, December 8
* Serenity Fayres first Grand Christmas fair, in partnership with Cancerwise, at Felpham Community Centre. Wide range of pampering, holistic and retail opportunities, massages, readings and more. Entry £1 donation to Cancerwise, under 16s free. One of Santa’s Elves will do balloon modelling. More at www.facebook.com/SerenityFayres
Monday, December 2
* Chichester Cathedral Christmas carol service, 2.30pm, dementia friendly. In partnership with the Chichester Anna Chaplaincy, Alzheimer’s Society Chichester and Bognor Positive Thinkers. Free to attend but booking essential, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 01243 812497.
Tuesday, December 3
* Chichester Cathedral ‘Our City’ Carol Service, 1.45pm, For people with support needs. In partnership with the Wrenford Centre for adults with learning difficulties and Coastal MIND. Free to attend but booking essential, contact email@example.com or 01243 812497.
Wednesday, December 11
* Festival of Chichester Festive Jazz Café, 7.30pm, St John’s Chapel, Chichester. Seasonal words and music with actor/singing star Mark Wynter, award-winning poet Maggie Sawkins, actress Emily Rose Smith, the evergreen Jazz Smugglers band and free mince pies! A Festival of Chichester charity gala. Tickets: £12; £10 (students) from the Novium, 01243 775888 www.thenovium.org/boxoffice
Friday, December 13
* The Edwin James Festival Choir Winter Wonderland ‘Disney theme’ Concert, 7.30pm, St James the Great Church, East Ham Road, Littlehampton. Tickets £10 (children £4), box office 01243 582330. Repeated 3pm Saturday, December 14.
* Chichester Community Choir Christmas Charity Concert, St Paul’s Church, Chichester, carols and traditional and popular Christmas sons, entry a recommended £5 donation on the door, starts 7pm.
Saturday, December 14
* Chichester Cathedral stages Handel’s Messiah, 7.15pm, performed by 16 top professional singers from around the country (including the Royal College of Music, Westminster Cathedral, Oxford and Cambridge Colleges, and Winchester and Chichester Cathedrals). Charles Harrison, organist and Master of the Choristers, Chichester Cathedral, directs Chichester vocal ensemble NMH and period instrumentalists three parts vied, tickets (£20/16) available via www.nmhchoir.co.uk/messiah - proceeds to support the work and ministry of the Cathedral.
Sunday, December 15
* Holy Cross Church, North Bersted, 5pm, carol cervice followed by refreshments & Christmas raffle.
* St Pancras Church, Chichester, 6:30pm. Carol service with traditional carols, readings, the St Pancras Christmas Choir and a lively
twist. Followed by refreshments.
Thursday, December 19
* Chichester Voices Carol Concert presented by the Rotary Club of Bognor Regis, in aid of Rotary charities, at St Thomas A’ Becket parish church, Church Lane, Pagham, 7.30pm, tickets inclusive of programme £14, concessions £12. Contact John Bunderla-Davies 01243 268288 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Christmas by Candlelight at Slindon College, featuring vocalist Rachael Hawnt accompanied by Ashley Cutler on the grand piano, 7.30pm-10.30pm. Tickets £22.50 from 01243 814647. Event includes raffle, cash bar and free on-site parking. Guests asked to dress in occasion wear.
Thursday, December 19 (and Friday 20 and Saturday 21)
* Chichester Cathedral Carol Services, 6pm on Thursday and Friday, 3pm on Saturday). Free to attend, seats in the nave and side aisles will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Cathedral will open its doors an hour before each service.
Saturday, December 21
St Pancras Church, Chichester, 4pm. Fill the square behind the church (at Eastgate) for carols around the Christmas tree. Seasonal refreshments from Brasserie Blanc and Carluccio’s.
Sunday, December 22
* St George’s Church, Cleveland Road, Chichester, Carol Service, 5pm, mulled wine & mince pies. All welcome.
Monday, December 23
* Carols on the Quay, 6pm, Sidlesham (hosted by the Crab and Lobster pub).
Monday, December 2 to Friday 6
* Festive afternoon tea cruises at Chichester Canal, £20 per person, departing from Canal Basin. Book at chichestercanal.org.uk/boat-trips/winter-lunch-trips/
Thursday, December 5 to Saturday (and Thursday 12 to Saturday 14)
* Chichester Cathedral Mini Christmas Market in the Cathedral Cloisters. Local brands featuring a variety of items, browse or buy.
Friday, December 6 to Sunday 8
* St Anne’s Church, East Wittering, 13th Christmas Festival Weekend, Christmas Tree Festival, Friday and Saturday 10am-4.30pm & Sunday 11.30am-3pm. Beautifully decorated Christmas trees, children’s trail, hamper raffle & ‘lucky dip.’ ‘Is it a cocktail or mocktail?’ sampling, quiz & canapes. Friday, 7pm. Basket of bottles raffle. Tickets £10 available from St Anne’s or Greetings House, East Wittering. Christmas Fair, Saturday from 10am in the Village Hall. Stalls with Christmas gifts, crafts, books, nearly new, home-made local produce including marmalades, jams & chutneys, bottle tombola, hamper raffle. Refreshments. Grand draw. Christingle & Toy Service with the Salvation Army Band who will take donations of new, unwrapped toys to families in need. Collection for the Children’s Society. Sunday 6pm.
Saturday, December 14 (and Dec 15 and 18-22)
* Father Christmas Sleigh Experience, St Martins Street, Chichester, 10am -4pm each day. Step into Father Christmas’ restored Russian Trioka Sseigh, £4 per child, funds to Chichester Downs Syndrome Support Group. See “Father Christmas Chichester” n Facebook.
Sunday, December 15
* Jingle Bell Jog: Run, walk, dance, prance, jog or jingle your way around Priory Park and take in Chichester’s historic City Walls and help raise vital funds for The Sussex Snowdrop Trust. All ages and abilities, as many laps of the 1km route as you wish. Entrance £7 for those aged 15 and under, £12 for adults, including a Santa hat and a festive medal at the end. Family ticket for four £33 or £30 if you sign up before November 24. Registration 10am and the Jog will start at 10:30am. Refreshments available. See www.everyoneactive.com/centre/westgate-leisure-centre/HoHoHO
Sunday, December 22
* Service of Nine Lessons and Carols by candlelight, 6pm, St Mary’s Church, Sidlesham.
Got a local festive event that’s not listed? Email email@example.com and we’ll publish the details in our online round-up.