Pets killed by poison meat left in the street

editorial image

A HEARTBROKEN grandmother whose dog was poisoned to death, is warning neighbours that meat laced with antifreeze could have been left out for their pets to eat.

Sylvie Farr-Voller, 60, of Chalk Lane, Sidlesham, had to have her seven-year-old dog, Summer, put to sleep on Wednesday, February 4, after an antifreeze 
chemical was found in her blood stream.

Sylvie explained the young Cairn started being sick the previous Friday morning, January 30.

“It was a horrific way to see her die. It was a totally unnecessary death.

“It was really awful. She had a good seven years in front of her.

“My grandson, who is nearly three, lives with 
me. He was asking ‘where’s sum sum?’

“We had to tell him she’s gone to heaven with his other nanny.”

The vet said the chemical was most likely to have come from meat laced with antifreeze – as this is something some people do to kill foxes.

Sylvie’s husband Ron took Summer for a walk the previous day. They walked 200 yards along the lane and around their stables. Sylvie said the meat must have been in the lane as their stables were private.

To add to that, Ron found a dead pet cat in the lane 
on Sunday morning, February 8, which belonged to a neighbour.

Sadly, that neighbour had another cat which has also recently gone missing.

Sylvie said: “They came and asked if we had seen their cat about four weeks ago. It seems it’s prolific in this area.”

Summer could have been saved if she had been seen by the vet within 12 hours of eating the meat.

Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning include vomiting, drowsiness, seizures, breathing difficulties, 
thirst, increased urination and the appearance of 
being drunk.

Poisoning a cat deliberately is a criminal offence under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, for which the maximum penalty is up to six months’ imprisonment and/or a fine of up to £20,000.

To find out more or to report a suspected animal poisoning, call the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999.