Police hand air crash ‘recovery phase’ over to West Sussex County Council

Police officers at the Shoreham air crash site
Police officers at the Shoreham air crash site

Sussex Police has handed the recovery phase of the Shoreham air crash over to West Sussex County Council ten days after the tragedy happened.

The council will help the community move on from the effects of the incident by co-ordinating road repairs and re-openings as well as any official memorials, which will allow the police to focus on their investigation.

Assistant Chief Constable Steve Barry said: “We worked hard to complete the formal identification of all victims and we’re pleased to have done that before the week anniversary vigils, where the community came together and showed its tremendous support.

“All of the 11 victims have been formally identified and their families are being supported as we try to provide them with answers. We cannot fully discount any further victims as our search at the scene continues but we now feel this is unlikely. Our investigation continues and we are working the Air Accident Investigation Branch to provide a report to the coroner.

“We will continue to work with West Sussex County Council and other agencies to minimise disruption to the local community and assist people, along with businesses, who have been affected by these tragic events.

“I cannot thank the public enough for the way they have come together, we will be supporting community events being organised in memory of those who have died.”

The council’s chief operating officer Gill Steward said: “We have been working closely with Sussex Police throughout to ensure a seamless handover. I want to express my sincere gratitude to all those emergency crews and staff from all the agencies involved who demonstrated such professionalism and bravery in the wake of this appalling tragedy.

“It is our duty, as we take over the recovery phase, to continue to support those grieving families and the wider community as it comes to terms with such a terrible loss.”

On Sunday morning (August 30) motorists saw two lanes opened on the eastbound carriageway along with one lane on the westbound carriageway of the A27. The other lane of the westbound carriageway remains closed for the coming weeks while police investigation work continues on the road verge. The westbound entry slip road at the Adur flyover (from the A283) also remains closed. There is a 40mph speed limit in place and restrictions on cyclists and pedestrians.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage

2) Like our Facebook page

3) Follow us on Twitter

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

Always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.