25 North Mundham homes approved despite ongoing sewage concerns

News
News

An application for 25 homes in North Mundham has been approved – despite unresolved concerns over foul water drainage.

In a meeting on Wednesday, July 20, Chichester District Council permitted the erection of the new houses on land south of Stoney Lodge, School Lane, as well as associated access, parking, gardens and landscaping.

The application was deferred in May after the council called for more information from Southern Water about issues relating to foul and surface water drainage.

North Mundham parish councillor, Peter Stephens, said: “The reason for deferral in May was because of concerns over foul drainage and the need for information from Southern Water and this has still not been addressed.

“It is clear that the drainage problems in this area remain unresolved.”

He added: “Until we are convinced that this situation is resolved then North Mundham Parish Council will continue to object to any development that discharges into this part of the sewage system.”

Southern Water explained how their position has changed since 2012 – in terms of no longer wanting an upgrade to the foul sewer network – because modelling data has significantly improved over the past four years and they can now see how the network accepts more flows than previously recorded.

Chichester district councillor Graeme Barrett was not satisfied with Southern Water’s response, stating that they still haven’t clarified how they will deal with current issue the issue of foul water.

Cllr Simon Oakley agreed, stating: “Thank you to Southern Water but the problem still remains.

“At the moment the existing foul water network can not cope with any additional flows. I would find it very difficult to approve this.”

However, chairman of the council Robert Hayes said that the plan for 25 houses itself will not contribute drastically to the already existing problem.

Cllr Janet Duncton said: “I am quite happy with this site as long as there is some clarification on how the sewage issues will be dealt with.”

Cllr Les Hixon agreed, adding that he was frustrated with the lack of information from Southern Water but the application should be supported.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.chichester.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ChichesterObserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @Chiobserver

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Chichester Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.