Residents across the area are being urged to get writing and have their say on possible sites for thousands of new homes across the south of Chichester district.
Chichester District Council agreed to go ahead with a public consultation on the sites and housing numbers which will help it devise its new core strategy for planning.
Earlier this month the council unveiled a range of five options for housing numbers and sites up to 2028 and public meetings have already been held in Tangmere and Shopwhyke about the issue.
Over the next few weeks the Observer will be looking in depth at the issue and examining the different options and what they could mean for each area.
The public consultation will start on August 26, and last for four weeks.
Cllr Myles Cullen, cabinet member for the economy, property and tourism, said the council needed to press on with a core strategy so it was in place as soon as possible.
“Consultation on housing numbers is a first step towards this,” he told the council.
People would be asked about the level of housing required, and which locations should be a main focus for development.
Cllr Andrew Smith said the council should spell out the consequences of going for the lowest housing number.
“The danger is that unless the consequences are spelled out, you will get a large number of people going for the lowest possible number,” he added.
The council also agreed to hold a separate consultation at the same time relating to sites proposed for development in north east Chichester.
The options can be viewed by going to the LDF section on Chichester District Council’s website at www.chichester.gov.uk where, from August 26 you can also find a copy of the questionnaire to print out and fill in.
The consultation will end on September 23. Completed questionnaires should be sent to Freepost, Chichester LDF.
People without access to a computer should call 01243 534571 for help and advice. The council hopes to submit the strategy in October 2012, ready for use from May 2013.