Development of 118 homes right next to A27 turned down

Plans to build 118 homes on the edge of Hambrook have been refused by Chichester District Council.

Monday, 8th March 2021, 2:44 pm

The application from Sunley Estates was turned down by the planning committee on Wednesday (March 3) due to the loss of agricultural land it would bring and fears it would create an ‘island’ of housing detached from the village.

Adrian Moss (Lib Dem, Harbour Villages) said: “I think this development is disconnected from the community. It’s not going to become an integral part of the village – and that really is not what we’re trying to achieve.”

Others agreed, pointing out that the homes would be so far from the village that only car owners would want to live there and questioning whether the shop lined up to be part of the development would be viable.

A similar application for 120 homes was dismissed on appeal in 2014 as it would have been ‘disproportionate’ when compared to the size of Hambrook

That feeling was echoed by Jane Towers, of Chidham and Hambrook Parish Council, who told the meeting this latest plan would be a ‘large scale development in an unsuitable location’.

Another speaker called it ‘out of proportion and out of character’.

The 9.7 hectare site sits immediately south of the A27 and north of Scants Road West with access from Broad Road.

The council received more than 80 letters of objection to the plans, with concerns ranging from overdevelopment and the potential harm to the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, to fears about safety on Broad Road and the pressure so many new homes would place of services and infrastructure.

The application was refused, against the recommendation of planning officers, by six votes to four with two abstentions.