UPDATE: Bracklesham fire caused by lamp, with video

A PAINT stripping lamp was the cause of the fire at a thatched cottage in Bracklesham Bay firefighters confirmed today (Monday, November 5).

Marvin Smith, West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service station commander, said: “The accidental fire was started by a blow lamp for paint stripping.

“We strongly advise people to not use this sort of item around thatched properties.

“Fire in thatched properties spreads very quickly, and you need to call us straight away if a thatched property is on fire.”

The fire service were called to Clifford’s Cottage restaurant, in Bracklesham Lane, at around 4.30pm on Saturday (November 3). 
They left the scene this morning.