UPDATE: Bride ‘devastated’ after wedding evacuated in pier fire
The bride whose wedding was evacuated during the Worthing Pier fire last night (June 13), has described the ‘devastating’ event.
Sam and Mat Pewsey, of Edmonton Road, Durrington, had planned their perfect wedding venue with casino tables and arcade games on the pier but ended up having their dreams dashed by a fire just moments after their first dance.
“I just cried,” said Sam. “It was total devastation. We had planned our wedding to be perfect for us and that’s why we chose the pier.
“Within five minutes of the first dance, there was smoke around the back of the DJ area and a real strong plastic burning smell.
“Then we pretty much got evacuated straight away.
“After about half an hour of hanging around our party planner told us we wouldn’t be able to continue.
“That was it. It was over from our point of view.”
Six fire engine, police and two lifeboats were called to the scene at around 8.30pm.
The wedding buffet of Sam and Mat’s favourite dishes was just being brought out when the fire alarm was raised.
Thankfully Sam said her friend and director Sharon, found refuge for the party at The Burlington Hotel, and arranged for a full buffet to be brought to them from a local restaurant.
She said she was grateful for Sharon’s quick organisation as her guests enjoyed the rest of their night but she said the night was ruined for her and Mat.
“My wedding was ruined. Sharon saved the day because everybody else had a good time but once we were evacuated, that was it from my point of view.”
West Sussex Fire and Rescue has confirmed the fire was caused by a discarded cigarette.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.