A COTTAGE in Petworth was almost totally destroyed after a blaze caused by severe storms ripped through it.
West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said firefighters were called to Burton Mill Farm in Burton Park Road at 11.40pm on Friday night (June 12).
It was caused by rain entering an electrical point during the severe storm that evening
The occupants managed to escape the building before emergency services arrived.
See a video of the fire here Petworth fire
Crews from Midhurst, Chichester and Billingshurst were on the scene until 1.25am and Midhurst station manager Nigel Gamblen was in charge of the incident.
He said 80 per cent of the roof and 50 per cent of the ground floor was damaged by the blaze.
“The fire started in a lean-to at the rear of the building,” said Nigel. “It was caused by rain entering an electrical point during the severe storm that evening.
“It spread from there onto the roof of the property.
“Our teams worked very hard under difficult conditions.”
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.midhurstandpetworth.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/MidhurstandPetworthObserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @mid_pet_obs
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Midhurst and Petworth Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.