Update: Train cancellations over '˜unusually high' level of sickness to last a week
Southern services between Brighton and Southampton Central are being cancelled after a '˜unusually high' level of sickness among conductors.
A spokesman for Southern GTR said the disruption was likely to last for the rest of the week.
This follows a RMT conductors’ strike on Tuesday last week (April 26). Talks between the union and company stalled on Friday.
Tickets will be accepted on South West Trains services this morning (Wednesday May 4).
Chief Operating Officer Dyan Crowther said: “We are extremely disappointed and frustrated that, due to an unusually high level of sickness among some of our conductors and some others not working their normal rest days, we are unable to run the full service between Southampton and Brighton.”
Two other walk-outs have been planned in May.
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.