Firefighters have issued another warning after three crews were called out to a kitchen fire in Central Avenue.
They were called yesterday, June 22, at 6:08pm and when they arrived flames were visible through the conservatory roof.
Watch Manager Russell Moore said: “The people in the house were lucky as they were alerted by a passer-by. There has been a lot of coverage nationally about a spate of fires caused by tumble dryers. We know that this fire started in the tumble dryer but not whether this model is one of those that have caused national concern.”
In a statement the Fire Service said: “The property had no working smoke alarms, but a closed fire door meant damage was prevented to the rest of the house.”
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus quickly extinguished the blaze and nobody was hurt.
Mr Moore said: “We would urge all home owners to make sure that they regularly clean their tumble dryers, as this home owner had done, and also check whether their appliance is one of those identified as being at risk.
He added: “It also goes without saying that every property should have properly working smoke alarms. The outcome of this incident could have been much worse.”
The following brands have been identified as potential risks: Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda. Customers can check whether their machine’s specific model number is one of those affected, by looking on the Indesit and Hotpoint safety sites.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.bognor.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/BognorRegisObserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @BogObserver
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Bognor Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.