WORK is going on behind the scenes at untangling the confusion caused by Chichester District Council refusing itself planning permission.
Earlier this month, the council’s planning committee refused an application by the council to extend the permission deadline for 80 houses on the former Portfield football ground, in Church Road, Chichester.
Cabinet member Josef Ransley told a full council meeting on Tuesday a detailed briefing on the site would be published shortly for cabinet to consider.
“Obviously, as portfolio holder for estates development, I very much regret that the committee decided to reject the application which after all was an outline application seeking an extension,” he said.
He told councillors that officers had been in ‘virtually daily contact’ at working out the next step forward.
In a letter to the planning department, the council’s head of commercial services, Jane Hotchkiss, said the council reserved its position to resubmit the application.
The application was rejected as the committee believed it was too many homes for that site and not enough parking. Permission is due to expire in July.