Wheat bag fire in microwave sparks safety advice

Fire services have issued safety advice after a wheat bag caught fire in a microwave.

Tuesday, 4th October 2016, 4:38 pm
Updated Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 4:43 pm

One crew from Chichester were called to Heather Court in Stockbridge Road at 3.40pm, where they removed the burning microwave from a third floor flat.

Firefighters then used positive pressure ventilation to help clear the flat from smoke.

A spokesperson from West Sussex Fire and Rescue said: “Make sure when heating a wheat bag that it is not damaged or faulty and take extra care with the amount of time you heat the wheat bag for.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.chichester.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ChichesterObserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @Chiobserver

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Chichester Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.