Hospice benefits as cricket season comes to end

Salthill Cricket Club have presented a cheque to St Wilfrids Hospice for £737.97 '“ following the club's fourth open day in August.

Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 9:00 am
Updated Friday, 8th June 2018, 1:34 am
Salthill's Andy Beal presents the cheque to Jasmine Barton of St Wilfrid's Hospice

Salthill’s Andy Beal handed the cheque to Jasmine Barton of St Wilfrid’s.

He saidf: “I would like to thank all the kind businesses who donated wonderful prizes for the end-of-day raffle and all the people who helped to make the day another success in raising much-needed funds to the very important charity.

“Without all the excellent donations and help we could not have achieved the success we did.”

It was another good season for the Fishbourne-based cricket club, who finished in the top half of regional division one south of the Hampshire League.

Goodwood v Steyning

Steyning elected to bat and put on 29 before they lost their first wicket to Mike Smith (2-21). He followed this with a caught and bowled. Steve Dudman (1-46) was the other opening bowler and he bowled very tidily.

Matt Beard (2-30), James Mayne (3-30) and Richard Geffen (2-31) all bowled pretty well and Steyning lost wickets at regular intervals. There was a catch and a stumping for Tim Odell, and catches for John Clifton, Henry Whitby and Johnny Heaven. A late flurry enabled Steyning to reach 168 all out.

In reply Heaven and Whitby put on more than 50 for the first wicket. Heaven departed for 35 but John Heyworth joined Whitby.

The Steyning left-arm spinner bowled eight overs for five runs. But Heyworth was in more sparkling form and set about the Steyning bowling with a mixture of beautiful cover drives and his trademark pirouette pulls.

He was out for 53, Whitby for 49. Clifton and Matt Geffen knocked off the remaining runs.

Thanks went to Bryan Tomlain for all his umpiring this season.

Lavant v Singleton

In Lavant’s last match of the season, overnight rain had made the outfield at Singleton damp and slow and there were damp patches on the wicket.

Lavant batted first and the openers struggled, with the ball zipping and darting around. The openers saw off the opening bowling attack but fell soon afterwards and soon the score was 32 for five.

Batting got easier as the sun dried the wicket. Rawnsley and Brooker added 99 before Rawnsley was caught on the boundary for 51. Brooker ended on 62 not out with the total 161 for six.

Singleton’s reply got off to a shaky start with both openers dismissed for nought by Stevens and Singleton were 35 for three after Brooker caught the Singleton skipper at mid-off.

Fish and Charman continued the chase with Fish hitting the ball to all parts before being bowled by Rawnsley for 84.

Despite late wickets from Rawnsley and Allen, Singleton eased past Lavant’s total with plenty to spare.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking sports news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be among the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at facebook.com/pages/Sport-Sussex

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

Share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!