Chichester and Selsey Ladies through in cup - Midhurst sting Stringers - Bosham take a point

There were wins for Chichester and Selsey Ladies and Midhurst this week - but defeats

Thursday, 29th October 2020, 4:00 pm
Jane Yeates in action for Chi and Selsey at Saltdean - where she scored a hat-trick

Saltdean 2 Chi & Selsey Ladies 4

SCFA County Cup

A well-taken hat-trick from star striker Jane Yeates put Chichester & Selsey into the quarter-finals of the County Cup. Saltdean started strongly but Amber Howden and Sophie Phelps were more than a match for them.

Gemma Simmonds was at the heart of Chi’s midfield and was leading the attacks.

The visitors broke through just after the ten-minute mark.

Tash Wild worked space down the wing and laid the ball into the path of Yeates, who stabbed the ball past keeper Katie Burr.

Chi should have doubled their lead with Yeates through on goal but her effort went wide.

Shortly after the half hour Yeates got it right to give the green and whites a 2-0 lead as she benefitted from a mix-up in the Saltdean back-line.

Close to the hour Yeates completed a hat-trick with the best of the bunch. A weak clearance from Burr was intercepted by Simmonds, who played a great one-two with Megan Fox before feeding Wild. Her quick thinking saw a deft pass into Yeates who finished beautifully.

Chichester seemed to switch off and Saltdean found an instant reply through Tia Berry. Phelps netted a fourth for the green and whites, bundling in a corner.

In injury time Saltdean scored thanks to an exquisite lob by Millie Carter over Lizzie Knight’s head.

Chi & Selsey boss Sadie Blakely said: “I’m happy we are through but disappointed at the way we switched off to enable Saltdean to gain a foothold in a game that they really shouldn’t have.

“Yeates was fantastic and deserved her hat-trick. We move on to next week and another winnable game at home to Hounslow.”


Selsey 0 Worthing Utd 2

SCFL division one

Worthing United held on for victory at Selsey.

The Blues had the first chance when a great ball from Ryan Morey sent Cam Jenkins through, but his effort brought a fine save by the keeper. The home side’s momentum was shortlived and in the 16th minute Worthing’s Josh Brown capitalised on a defensive error as he intercepted a poor clearance and slotted the ball into the bottom corner.

Worthing continued to apply pressure on Selsey but were denied by good saves from Selsey shot-stopper Syd Davies and excellent defending from Bradley Higgins-Pearce.

The visitors doubled their lead in the 29th minute when an attempt from Tshikume Phadagi took a deflection off a defender and fell to Joe Patching for a tap-in.

Selsey started the second half well and a comeback looked on in the 57th minute as they netted from an excellent cross. However, Harley Bain was just offside.

The hosts had a chance to pull one back when Morey went through one on one with the keeper. But Worthing’s No1 Moylan was quick off his line and saved well.


Bosham 1 TD Shipley 1

SCFL division two

A late strike from winger Oliver Hawkins salvaged a deserved point for the Robins against the league leaders.

Reds manager Tony Hancock was delighted with the performance.

Just five minutes had gone Tom Cousins worked some space for Shipley and fired a shot at goal only to see the effort hit the post.

The Reds settled with Harry Spicer, in for the suspended Pat Bulbeck, working wonders at the back alongside captain Nick Edgington.

With the Robins seeing more of the ball chances came and Will Lintott was first to go close for the Reds with a fizzing free-kick from just outside the box which keeper Mark Foxsaved superbly.

There was a big shout for a penalty for the Blues but referee Nigel Baker let play go on.

Theo Likaj sent a free-kick over the bar. Louis Bell came for the injured Mackenzie Oatway and immediately had an impact.

Right on half-time the table-toppers edged in front as Cousins’ free-kick found the back of the net via the bar to send Shipley into the break with a narrow lead.

After the break Bosham rhad the visitors wobbling with the pace of Nathaniel Monk and Hawkins causing all sorts of problems.

With around 20 minutes left, up popped the excellent Hawkins to nab a deserved leveller and spark celebrations.

Bosham’s tails were firmly up and more chances fell the home side’s way.

Bell rapped Fox’s fingers with a rasping effort from long distance, the keeper grabbing the ball at the second attempt at the feet of Hawkins.

Time ran out but Bosham could be very satisfied with a well-deserved point.

Boss Hancock said: “I’m delighted with the work rate from the team, particularly in the second half and felt we thoroughly deserved the point we got.

“We might have nicked all three late on but the performance in the second period got its just rewards.”

Bosham will aim to climb into the top ten with a positive result at Ferring, who they are due to visit on Saturday.


East Dean 1 Hunston 7

WSL Championship south

East Dean fell to another thrashing as they conceded seven at home to Hunston.

East Dean put pressure on from the first kick and were 1-0 up after 15 minutes.

Dan Richards put a fantastic ball down the line for Ollie Haggar who linked up well with James Ford up top and tucked the ball into the bottom corner.

Richards nearly converted an ambitious overhead kick before Hunston levelled with a fine 30-yard strike that left debutant goalkeeper Ed Firlotte helpless.

Hunston then took control and led 3-1 at the break.

It was 4-1 soon after the restart but after letting in a fifth the Dean had a few chances.

A sixth and seventh went in for Hunston and East Dean had Firlotte harshly sent off when he came out of his area and put his hands up to stop a shot hitting him in the face.


Midhurst 4 Hailsham 0

SCFL division one

Midhurst boss Andy Ewen saluted his team for a convincing home win.

They put the Stringers under pressure from the start and took a deserved lead in the 10th minute with Robbie Tambling teeing up Marcus Bedford, who smashed home from eight yards.

The pass of the game from Jake Slater split the visitors’ back-line to put Bedford through only for him to be bought down. The offending player dismissed and Bedford converted the penalty.

A cool finish from Tambling on the stroke of half-time made it 3-0.

After the break Tambling hit the bar with a 40-yard chip and got his second in the 67th minute before the Stags spurned several more opportunities.

Ewen said: “It was a pleasing performance and we were in total control and should have scored more.

“We now need to be a bit more consistent. I’m pleased Tambo got himself on the scoresheet as he’s worked hard to get back to full fitness – Jodie our physio has worked wonders again.”

Squad-wise, Rich Carter has returned from Fleetlands but Oli Page dislocated his shoulder on Saturday so will be missing for six to eight weeks.

* When football and beer meet, what can possibly go wrong?

Petworth FC’s reserves are raising a glass to a new sponsorship deal with a local company who deliver craft beer to people’s doors.

The company – – is run by Petworth couple Matt and Lucy, who formerly ran The Star in the town centre.

Beerhop wimport American craft beer and deliver straight to your door. They can be found through their website or on Facebook.

Petworth Reserves’ season startedpoorly withlosses against Southwater Royals and Thakeham butthey picked up wins over Southwater Royals and Henfield.

Last time out Petworth fought back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 with Southwater’s development team.

Next up is a visit to Plaistow.